I often get asked, “What is branding exactly?” The definition of brand according to the American Marketing Association is “a name, term, design, symbol, or any other feature that identifies one seller's good or service as distinct from those of other sellers”. In today’s social media world, it encompasses so much more. It includes not only the name, design, and symbol but colors, fonts, tone of voice, and overall feel of each profile.
Trying to keep your brand clear on social media can be a daunting task but one that is well worth it. Just let these statistics sink in for a moment:
- The average revenue increase attributed to always presenting the brand consistently is 23%. Source: Lucidpress
- Color increases brand recognition by up to 80%. Source: University of Loyola
- Brands that are consistently presented are 3 to 4 times are more likely to experience brand visibility. Source: Lucidpress
Now that you get how important a consistent brand is, what do you do about it? While hiring a professional to help guide you is one way; if that isn’t an option, here are some things you can do now to keep your brand consistent online:
- Use the same social media handles (or as close as you can) across all platforms so you are easy to find.
- Use the same profile picture and cover photos so you are recognizable from one social media platform to another.
- Make sure your “About” section and bio descriptions are relatively the same across all platforms. Don’t say X on one and Y on another; this confuses potential customers.
- Use the same logo and colors throughout all social media profiles. This includes using similar filters on photos, so they have the same feel to them.
- Pick 2-3 fonts to use in graphics and stick to them. You may need to create different graphics for each platform but keep the fonts and color palettes the same.
- Keep your voice and feel consistent. For example, if you are a cutting-edge brand, make sure all copy, pictures, and videos have a modern look and feel on all platforms. Creating templates for each platform for each type of post can make this easier. Keeping topics similar everywhere can also help. A consistent look and voice gives you wider recognition.
- This does not mean post the same exact thing across all platforms. Each platform works differently, and you need to adapt the media to the platform. Posts can have the same look and voice with some tweaks for each platform. Sometimes you need to experiment to see what works best where.
Keeping your branding consistent will bring you better recognition in the social media world. This will build the trust and loyalty customers—and potential clients—feel for your company.